pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

[teaser #2] UNINVITED BY SOPHIE JORDAN





Book: Uninvited
Series: (Uninvited #1)
Author: Sophie Jordan


Sean is fierce and wild, his body moving with a fluidity and ease that almost seems at odds with the power behind the violent blows he’s delivering every chance he gets. He’s getting more punches in than Tully. Pounding him in the face, the side of the head, the shoulders, the torso... anywhere he can reach. Finally, Tully’s not lifting his arms up to defend himself at all anymore. He just takes every blow, lies there like a sponge.
Dimly, I realize a crowd has gathered to watch. Several call out words of advice and encouragement. To Tully or Sean, I’m not sure.
Sitting on the mat, seeing what everyone else sees: Sean rescuing me, pummeling my opponent because I failed... because I had dropped my guard; disgust washes over me.
I stand, swaying a little. Another weakness. I blink, fight through the dizziness. Luckily, no one pays attention to me, all eyes are focused on Sean trouncing an insensible boy. I step forward to stop him and drop, falling to my knees. I don’t reach him before an instructor is there, tugging Sean away.
“C’mon, O’Rourke. He’s finished.”
He’s finished. Meaning Sean finished him. Not me. Disappointed in myself, I watch Sean as he climbs off Tully.
His gaze scans the crowd, searching. For me, I realize. As though he needs to see me and satisfy himself that I’m okay. His gaze lands on me, and his shoulders seem to relax, the rigidity slipping away ever so slightly, water through a sieve.

*Note: all the teasers we provide are from the Advanced Readers Copy of the book and may be subjected to changes upon publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are very delighted to see your comment on our page!
Please feel free to say whatever you think about our post (even when your opinion doesn't matches ours).